ShareThis

A Chat With Hirunika Premachandra

Janith | 1:57 PM | 0 comments


Today I have Hirunika, well known for her participation in Miss Universe Sri Lanka. She however came into the limelight seeking justice following the death of her father. She is known for being outspoken and standing up against injustice - a girl with guts and good looks. Her determined personality has sure given her a lot of front page mentions in newspapers. Today I asked her to close my 200th week!!! 
 
She speaks from her heart, on the Buzz!!! 
 
 
Full Name : Hirunika Eranjali Premachandra 
 
School :  Visakha Vidyalaya
 
Hometown : Colombo 
 
Status : Single
 
Birthday : 14 Oct 1987
 
Role model : My father 
 
Passions : Dancing, singing, acting (Stage drama)
 
Cartoon you like : Tom and Jerry
 

Do you enjoy all the media attention you get?
Well I have never looked at the media as something I enjoy. Media started following me after I raised my voice against injustice. And I never ran after it, whatever I did or said became headlines the next minute, so I guess the media has been always following me, and I believe the media can make or break a person. As a public figure I always keep that in mind.
 
How is Colombo treating you? Very well 
 
What inspires you? Ambitious, hard working, goal oriented people  
 
What do you think about my column, 'THE BUZZ WITH DANU’? Love every bit of it! Very outspoken and fun.
 
What do you think about the NEW COLOMBO, and all the development?  I see a huge development, but sadly the development is centred and focused only in Colombo and urban areas. But in the rural areas there are people who still haven't seen anything beyond their paddy fields. We can't look at one town and come to a conclusion that the whole country is developed. On the other hand, people are loosing faith in justice, family values and the culture. Lots of buildings and roads aren't enough to measure the development of a country.
 
What's your favourite childhood memory? When I was 7 I joined my father's parliament election campaign, I was this little girl who didn't know what was going on, but I enjoyed the cheering and people gathered around my father. So I got into a tractor and welcomed my father. That’s something I will never forget.
 
What's the #1 most played song on your iPod? Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
 
What is one of your favourite quotes?
Change you can't to you can, and pretty soon you will say I did.
 
Everything will be okay in the end, if it’s not okay, it’s not the end.
 
What's your fashion statement?
White t shirt and blue jeans.
 
Your favourite brand in clothing? Victoria Beckham
 
Would you call yourself an activist?
No. So far I've only been talking about my father's issue. To be an activist, I have to focus on other issues too. I think to do that I need more people gathered around me, I think I'm still too young to be called an activist.
 

Your  TOP 5 in fashion?
1.Blazers
2.Jeans
3. Oversized tops
4.Shalwars
5.Sarees
 
What was the last experience that made you a stronger person? After my father passed away, I read so many weird stories about me, I was coming out of trauma and those rumours and gossips made me so fed up with life. And one day I had a long conversation with a close friend of my father and then realized, what am I doing? What I was going through was nothing compared to what my father went through as a young chap. That day I thought to myself, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And I’ve never looked back since. 
 

If Questions
 
If you had the power to change three things in our country, what would they be? Corruption, child abuse and sexual offences happening to women and children, education system and health care system.
 
If you were crowned Miss Sri Lanka the year you took part, what would you have done differently?
I can't think of anything more I would do, because I think Steph had done it at her level best. She had represented our country very well.
I think I wouldn't do anything different to what she has done. 
 
If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would you choose? 
When I was 16, 17! The best time of my life.
 
If your dad was by your side, one thing you would ask him? I will ask him to hold me and give me a long hug.
 
If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for? I am so hung up on 70’s style, so I would throw a 70's style party. Once I take oaths as a lawyer I will throw that party.
 
If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? Oh I like my name. I might change my middle name, not my first name though. 
 
If you were reincarnated as an animal/drink/ice cream flavour, what would you be? Horse, Gin and Tonic, Chocolate
 
 


In the Spot
 
Do you feel your life is in danger?
Well, my ammi does. She is always scared. But I've passed that feeling. I've become so numb, that my only focus is to fight against injustice.
 
Define a great relationship?
When you are best friends with the person you love, I call it a great relationship. Because as you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other. If you are best friends with your partner and you can talk to him/her about anything without getting bored, that’s something to treasure.  
 
Do you think your fashionable take on clothing, has worked against you, in the recent past, with your fight for justice?
Well, I know what you are talking about. When there were headlines, of my attire, the question raised by everyone was - what's wrong with my attire? Because it was fully covered. There was a full page picture of it. I'm glad they posted that picture, the public realised it was totally not a big issue. 
 
In your opinion what is the biggest flaw you see in Sri Lankan politicians?
They forget that they are representing us and they are in that position from our votes, that they are accountable to us. Unfortunately they forget that there are not superior but people have the power to make them as well as break them.
 
Did you get a chance to speak to your dad before you left home, if so, what did he say to you?
Yes I did. But couldn't see his face because he was in the bathroom. I was in a hurry to go to my dancing lesson; I wanted to get ready, and I asked if he'll be late to come out, he said 'Just 2 minutes', but I didn't wait, I went to the downstairs bathroom. When I came out, he was done and getting ready in his room. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye for the first time in my life. Because normally whenever I go out, I say goodbye to him. That day I couldn't.
 
 


For fun
 
What's the hardest thing you've ever done?
I went up to a guy in my economics class when I was doing my A/Ls and said that my friend likes him, and got rejected! It was so hard and embarrassing because it was a huge class of probably 3000 to 4000 students. Haha
 
When was the last time you had an amazing meal?
I love Chinese food! So the last time I had Chinese food was from my favourite Chinese restaurant, I was so hungry that day.  
 
What's the best/worst gift you've ever given/received?
Best gift given, I brought two rings for my dad and mom for their 25 anniversary. Worst gift, I gave my ex-boyfriend an egg (boiled) and some bad vegetables nicely wrapped for his 15 b'day. We were best friends those days. haha! Best gift received, a hamster. No worst gift received. 
 
What do you miss most about being a kid?
I miss being not judged by anyone, because I could do any crazy thing as a kid. I was always the troublemaker; the fun and crazy one of the lot, I still am, but now I miss the things I used to do as a kid. I have to think twice now even if I want to laugh out loud.
 
What is your first memory of being really excited?
I think when thaththi and ammi bought me my first Barbie doll! I was so excited! It was a Mermaid Barbie.
 
What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
My first salary was from the part time job I did as a nanny back in the UK, I bought some clothes.
 
When was the last time you were nervous?
Oh god! Miss Sri Lanka, question time. For some reason I was so nervous!


Category: , ,

About GalleryBloggerTemplates.com:
GalleryBloggerTemplates.com is Free Blogger Templates Gallery. We provide Blogger templates for free. You can find about tutorials, blogger hacks, SEO optimization, tips and tricks here!

0 comments